How I Take And Edit My Blog Pictures: Summer Edition

I've been loving my blog pictures recently and thought maybe some of you might like to see a post like this. I want to change the feel of my pictures to fit each season, so bright colours and blue skies were just essentials the last few months. I did a similar post for my instagram feed and just thought why not do the same for my blog? If you also like my pictures or just want to gain a few tips, hopefully you'll enjoy this post.





(All photos are my own)

As you all probably know if you read my 'how I edit my instagram pictures post' that I swear by the app 'vsco' and its no different when it comes to blog photos. Out of all the apps I've tried it really is the best. When it comes to blog photos less is more when it comes to editing and that's what I hope I achieve with my pictures but its also nice to match them together. 

1 - Cropping My Photo (depending on the picture)

I find that most people just lean towards the 'crop' tool when there's a stranger in the background of their picture but it comes in so handy when trying to make your photos look more professional. I do moving image arts for gcse and if anything I learnt that framing really is key. If it's not necessary, crop it out. So often as an amateur photographer or film maker we'll try and fit everything in our shot, and that's a common mistake we all make. Less is more. When you're taking a photo fit in as much as you want, just in case it ends up looking better, and then when you begin editing crop out what isn't needed.

(Skip this paragraph if you don't want to hear more about framing)
I know this post has suddenly became a tips for a amateur photographer post but I might as well let you all know whilst I'm at it. Just as an example if you were taking a shot of someones face in a film; take one of their whole head with room above and below, then take one cutting off the top of their head and their chin. By far the one that cut off their chin and forehead will be far more effective.

2 - Increasing The Contrast (+1)

I do this to all my blog photos. I just think it makes them more defined, especially on photos that are really bright it makes the shadows deeper. For those who don't already know increasing the contrast makes the blacks more black and the whites in a photo more white.

3 - Increasing The Saturation (+1)

This is really key to giving your photos a summer, bright look. This makes the colours in the photo more intense and vibrant. in the winter I will probably decrease this as it fits more for the season. You can go mad with saturation but I wouldn't advise it. I usually move it up 2 or down 2 dashes on vsco.

4 - Sharpening The Photo (+2)

I do this to every photo but especially product photos. Obviously at my age I don't have the budget for a 400 -  600 pound camera that has the best lens and auto focus. Using a camera like the one I use makes it hard to get every product in focus and especially the text. This feature defines all the text in the photos and just makes them look a whole lot better. So glad I discovered this tool.

5 - Decreasing The Temperature (-2)

I do this so that my photos are more blue toned than yellow toned. This really helps if your photos are taken indoors on in artificial lighting. This is a running theme through my photos on my instagram and my blog.

6 - Adding Preset F2 (+6)

I love this preset for the summer time. I love how it makes all bright colours look! I turn the preset down to six because I think photos look far better minimal especially on a blog. This gives them a natural look. And in my opinion if you looked at my photos you wouldn't think they had a filter added and that's the look I go for.

All the photos featured were taken in Rossnowlagh Co.Donegal on a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS35. The numbers in brackets beside each step indicate how many points I increase or decrease each tool on vsco.

I hope you enjoyed this post. As the years go by I get more and more interested in photography and I really enjoy writing these posts and taking the pictures. Sorry for being so unpredictable when it comes to posting the last month. I can't even make excuses, I've been so lazy! But now that I'm settled back into school and we are approaching autumn I've so many ideas for posts so stay tuned!

Enjoy whats left of the weekend,
Fionntán 

No comments